Friday, July 15, 2011

2 Down, 260 Weeks to Go!

Image found on Photobucket

We're saving lives at the Elvis Presley Memorial Trauma Center!

I have somehow survived the first 2 weeks of residency, which I can only credit to amazing nurses, understanding attendings, and the big man upstairs... Oh, and some credit to Wayne, for really preparing me to jump in feet first and expect to start running.

To be honest, the first two weeks were somewhat of a blur, considering I worked 140 hours in the first week and a half. But, even though I was exhausted walking out of the hospital on Wednesday, I'm enjoyed every minute of it... even the bad ones.

In the first week I've changed LOTS and LOTS of lines (femoral central lines and arterial lines), and learn not only how to change a swan-ganz catheter, but how to float one and perform a wedge (which I've had to do too many times to count at this point). I've also seen, admitted and discharged patients with the attending relying on me for my judgement (there's no senior residents on my service, but there is a fellow who takes home call).

More than anything, I'm beginning to feel a little more comfortable in my new role (while still knowing that I have a long way to go).

That being said, I pretty much get home and crash, real hard.

For example, during my first week the fire alarm went off in my building, waking me up. However, my thought process was far from rational at this point. On waking up to a noise, I immediately thought it was my alarm, which I tried turning off. Seeing as hitting the screen on my phone was not accomplishing the task at hand I immediately came to the brilliant conclusion that the loud beeping was coming from my broken DSL modem (I know, brilliant)... Nevertheless, I walked over and unplugged it from the wall. When the high-pitched, deafening sound still ceased to desist, I finally thought, "Oh, fire alarm. Did I leave my oven on?" At which point I checked my oven. Finally I realized it was the building's fire alarm and seriously contemplated going back to bed. Thankfully my better judgement told me to thrown on some shoes and go outside. 45 minutes later, the alarm still going, we were cleared to go back inside... Please see, "alarm still going", the FD could not figure out how to turn it off. However, I walked back inside, threw 3 pillows over my head and managed to fall back asleep within a few moments.

Anyways, right now I'm actually back in Michigan. My family had a slight emergency. My attending upon hearing about it called my program director and they both said I needed to come home. Thankfully, I only missed Wednesday conferences and 1 shift. Everything seems to be fine, but prayers are still much appreciated.

I'm flying back to the mid-south at the butt-crack-of-dawn tomorrow (have to leave my house at about 4am, not that that's completely unusual, but it is for my mom, who has to drive me to Detroit for my flight).

I hope that the summer is treating you all wonderfully, and for all those other interns out there, God bless and Godspeed.

1 comment: