Hi, my name is Kate and I am a second year surgery resident at an academic program in the south (too easy to figure out which one if you look at any other social media, but I'll leave that to you). Let me start by saying, I love my job, even on the days that I hate it or just want to stay in bed. I have been blessed with amazing friends and have the best puppy in the whole world (her name is Adson -- and yes, she's named after a surgical instrument, a small pick-up, in fact, because she is my little pick-me-up).
Since it's the beginning of the year, I thought I would share with you all my new years resolutions (which, suprisingly, given the nature of this post, does not include being better about blogging). Anyways, here's my 13 resolutions and goals for 2013:
- Finish my 1 year Bible (I started it a year ago November... yeah, life is distractingly busy at times) - aka start doing daily devotionals
- Memorize a new Bible verse every week (this one, and the one above are going to be aided by youversion and shereadstruth)
- Be consistent in efforts to exercise (currently on day 5 of Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred, which I will only do if I do it before work... which means I'm jumping around my apartment at 3:30 am right now)
- Make a new recipe every week (did this in medical school, really liked it, wish I hadn't stopped)
- Pay off credit card debt (there's not a lot, but I want to get rid of it -- and along with that, build up my savings)
- Buy a house (yep, gonna be here for another 5 1/2 years, seems like the thing to do)
- Lose 30 lbs (silly but something I want to do)
- Clean apartment weekly (I found a 15 minute daily cleaning schedule)
- Study at least 30 minutes a day (actually doing pretty well on this one so far)
- 13 miles by the end of '13 (yep, run a half... Maybe the St. Jude Half? Starting goal run is the Pancreas Run at the end of March, with some of my residency friends)
- Swear less (It's there every year... trying to catch myself, but I'm really bad at it)
- Publish (or at least finish) one research project (this should be aided by the fact that I'm starting a 2 year clinical research stint starting in July)
- Cultivate friendships.
Since making that list, a few more things have been added as goals for the year:
- Eat healthy
- Read medical journals more consistently
- Stop texting while driving (I know... I'm horrible)
What are your goals and resolutions for the year of 13?